Monday, May 3, 2010

The Mystic Seaport








Did I tell you that in addition to becoming a farmer I also want to become a fisherman? Mystic is this quaint little town on the coast of Connecticut that my mother and I have always dreamed about. One of my mothers favorite movies while I was growing up was 'Mystic Pizza' . Mixed in with listening to Phil Collins 'Groovy kind of love,' and taking car rides to the Dunes I remember repeatedly watching this movie with her. Hence, making a pilgrimage to Mystic, Connecticut has been on our to do list for quite some time. So of course the first thing I wanted to do upon moving here was drive down to Mystic. We took a trip to the Hajj of my childhood memories, this quaint and charming little town was everything I'd imagined it would be. If I had to describe Mystic in a word it would be, "fisherman." We went to the Mystic seaport and I lost it. My mind was again transformed into visions of this would be life living by the coast, a fisherman's wife. I think for me it would be more fun to actually be the fisherman. Out on the ocean, the saltwater stinging my face, the smell of fish in the air, the sound of waves crashing against the ship. The seaport is a place where this tiny fishing village of yesteryear is still the same as it was a few hundred years ago. Granted, people no longer live there, but the buildings have all been maintained and you can go in see what it was like to live there so long ago. I drew so much inspiration from that place and that day. I can't wait to make this pilgrimage to Hajj again, this time with my mother.

No comments: